Once, I was in the ladies restroom and I told a friend that she looked very pretty. Her response?
“Oh my gosh, I don’t even have on my lashes.”
You don’t have on your lashes? You mean fake eyelashes? Aren’t those reserved for dance recitals and pageants? Clearly, I was way out of my realm. But, then I thought how amazing her eyes always look and was immediately intrigued. So then I caved.
I ventured to Ulta, my preferred beauty shopping stop. They sell my shampoo by the liter on sale (because a liter lasts about a week with this mane), every OPI and Essie nailpolish color that my heart desires and there is always some sort of gadget or product that catches my eye.
In the “eyelashes” aisle (normally toward the front of the store near the cash register), I found myself perplexed in front of the dozens of sizes, lengths and styles of faux eyelashes. My three criteria for choosing were:
- Black, normal looking (no feathers, neon colors, sparkles)
- Semi-natural in appearance (see above, also not 12 inches long)
- Easy to apply (anti-spaz)
So I chose the Japonesque brand “Sectional” package. It looks lie a full line of fake lashes cut into four pieces. I figured that these would be the easiest to apply because you have smaller sections to mess up. In addition, the glue came in the package, which is a huge bonus. As I experienced in the past, DO NOT USE THE CLEAR GLUE. You will tear out your eyelashes and make your eyelids swell. Use the white glue that you can peel off at the end of the day/night/next morning/I’m not judging/etc.
Sure you could read the directions on how to put them on, but WHY would you do that when you can read mine?
Pre-step: Put on your eye makeup except mascara including a swipe of eyeliner – i like mine from the center to the edge of my eye.
- Un-cap the glue. It is a little difficult (especially after it gets gummy after you open it). Pop out the wand/lid and rest it in the top. Always keep the glue vile upright.
- Un-stick the lashes from the white plastic tray. I normally use two sections per eye. If you aren’t a math major, that means un-stick four of them.
- Grab the chunk-o-lashes by the LASH part. apply the glue to the base. I like a pretty good amount of glue because I like some security. So sue me.
- Close your eye, pull your lashes down and place the lashes on the eyeliner line very close to (but not on top of) the lashline. I put one on the very edge and one one further in from the edge.
- Apply as you’d like! Whether you add one, two or four sections per eye, you will look AMAZING! I tend to go for two per eye because it looks the most natural.
- Put on your mascara to blend your natural lashes with your new faux friends. You’ll never look back.
Is wearing fake lashes high maintenance? Absolutely. Is it amazing and does everyone want to have them? Duh. So slap on those bad boys and look at the world through a lush black frame – so chic!